
Today was Jaelyn's last day of kindergarten. She has done amazingly well this year handling all of the adjustments that go along with starting school, learning to deal with different personalities and applying herself academically. She has loved the independance of getting to go do something by herself as well as the challenges of learning new things, especially with reading class, and getting to help tutor others. But, I have to say that I think recess has remained her favorite part of each day. Thank you to Mrs. Wasson for being a great teacher for Jaelyn.
I have also grown as a mommy, have appreciated and learned many things with this kindergarten experience. I have to say that on the first day of school when we were getting out of the car it tugged at my heart when Jaelyn said, "Now you are just going to walk me to my classroom and then you are going to leave, right?" Couldn't she have at least wanted me to walk her into the big, unknown, new adventure? I have loved the conversations we have had about her experiences as she tries to process them in her five year old little head. She is much deeper and comprehends more than I give her credit for. One of the conversations that stands out is one about how to love people and be a good friend to those that we find it hard to be respectful to. After the conversation, I can remember thinking that if I had been at school with her or if we had made different decisions about her schooling, I would have probably done what I could to shield and protect her from those people. And yet, now I know that she is a better, more compassionate person from trying to love and work with those who are hard to love. I am also challenged by her wanting to treat those people right. How am I doing at that in my own life?
This is getting much longer and deeper than I had planned to go, but there is so much to say about Jaelyn's first year of school as well as every other milestone she's had. So, how about I end it and just say, "Great job, sis! You've been a magnificent student and friend this year. Mommy is proud of you. I love you."
1 comment:
Way to go Jae! Now you are a first grader! WOW! We are all proud of you girlie! You are awesome and we love you!!
Kyle, Tara, Kyle and Jude :)
Post a Comment