Friday, April 30, 2010

Midweek-Let It Rain

The weather this week in western Washington has included everything but snow (though there has been times I would have rather had snow).
And so, in a moment that I thought was a sun break, I loaded the boys in he car and we went to the park for a mid-week let's-get-some-energy-out.
They boys played in the dirt. Threw sticks into the river on one side of the bridge and rushed to stick their heads through the other side and see their stick come floating by.
They picked dandelions.
Blew on them.
And made wishes.
This is when it happened. It started to rain. Not the nice little sprinkle that it had been giving us for the past hour, but big heavy wet drops.
We were not dressed to get really wet. So I suggested to my sweet boys that we go back to the car.
But, one of my sweet boys said, "No Mom, I want to find more rocks with you. I don't care if I get all wet." I replied, "You're wet and shivering, don't you want to go home and get warm and dry?" "No," he replied, "This is fun!"
Then I thought about it and decided...No one is whining or complaining. No one is fighting or asking me to play Uno for the eighth time today. No one is asking for lunch yet. We are already pretty damp, let's go under the trees and find more rocks. About 10 minutes later, it started hailing.
When we got into the car and I started it up, the song on the radio was, "Let It Rain" (I think that is the title. I'm not good with knowing titles and artists. Just one line from the song. Ha, ha.) Elias takes note of the song in the back seat and yells "No more rain!" And makes me actually LOL.
Now I tell this whole story instead of just posting the pictures, because at the end of the day, after the trip to get ice cream..
I was reminded that sometimes I need to 'let it rain'.God gave me a gentle reminder and I want to write it down so that next time I feel like it is pouring in my life I can sing, "Let it Rain"!
You see when we were out in the drizzle and getting damp, it wasn't comfortable. When it started raining harder, I knew and the boys knew, that our situation wasn't going to be getting better. We were only going to be getting wetter and colder. So why did my boys want to stay out and play and be more uncomfortable? Because they had their mommy's attention and she was present. Earlier that morning, I had been trying to get some things done. You know, the laundry, dishes, changing the batteries in a toy, taking a shower... Even when I had been playing Uno with them, I hadn't been fully present.
Out in the rain, wet and cold, my full presence was better than being comfortable to them.
I think that there are times in my life that I want God to change my circumstances so that I can be more comfortable rather than my focus being on glorifying Him. How backwards is that? Why do I pray that my life be made comfortable? Being in the rain with Him is so much better!

2 comments:

Fletcher Family said...

thanks for that reminder Lynne...it was very beautifully put! Love you!

Ms. Kris said...

I love how God uses such mundane moments and transforms them to Divine moments!